Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:07:04 +0100 (CET)

>> Because we don't even store fixed sets of flags, but we compute them
>> dynamically,
>> using pkg-config to print them is more of an additional problem
>> than a solution.
>
> I forget exactly how non-flattend looks having not used it since the
> default changed...
>
> but heres an example of a dynamic -L for a specific architecture
>
> $ pkg-config --define-variable=host_os=linux-gnu
> --define-variable=host_cpu=ix86 --libs-only-L gnustep
> -L/System/Library/Libraries/linux-gnu/ix86
> -L/Local/Library/Libraries/linux-gnu/ix86
>
> because it is only a file, is a benefit because it forces you to keep
> your logic separated from all the flags.

I think I'm wasting my time answering this question.  Is it even a question ?
Where exactly would we be using pkg-config ?  Put forward a proposal and we
discuss.

It seems you're just trying to prove that pkg-config can print out some text
from
a text file, replacing variables.  Who cares ?  Why is it relevant ?

Compile/link flags can be just anything on different machines.  Try
gnustep-make
on different machines (Windows cygwin/mingw32, Apple, Linux, Solaris, *BSD,
etc)
and you'll see completely different flags.

Thanks

PS: And you're missing my all important
-L/home/nicola/GNUstep-test-4/Library/Libraries
flag that is required to find my locally hacked Renaissance.