Implementing CFSTR() in corebase

From: Stef Bidi
Subject: Implementing CFSTR() in corebase
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:33:08 -0600

Fred and I have been discussing how to implement this function/macro for use with corebase.  If you haven't noticed yet CFSTR() is not currently implemented in corebase.  The problem we've been running into is how is constant strings implemented in ObjC.  Using a test and the GCC manual we were able to get an idea of what the constant string structure looks like at compile time, but still have no idea how it's implemented after that (GCC manual says the runtime sets the Class * to the constant string class at runtime).

I was hoping someone with more experience of how the objc runtimes and compilers work to help solve this dilema.

Stefan