Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:52:21 +0000 (UTC)

В Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:30:51 +0100, Nicola Pero написа:

>> FHS is a Linux 'standard', not a *NIX standard.

> Actually, the FHS requires the same ;-)

Right.  Also, it's incorrect to call it "Linux" standard.  The FHS is
derived from the GNU Coding Standards, which is perhaps the oldest
document describing a uniform layout & installation procedure (and yeah,
the GNUstep layout doesn't comply with it either).  The Linux kernel
works fine with non-FHS setup, and Linux developers have no influence on
the underlying layout at all, naturally.

It is true that the most vocal group behind the FHS were people from
various GNU/Linux distros, but there were folks from the BSD community,
too (who insisted on libexecdir, IIRC).  And Sun/SGI/IBM/etc staff as
well.

It's also a bit FUDdish to claim that Debian is the only distro insisting
on FHS.  Fedora/Red Hat has the same requirement, as well as all
derivatives (Ubuntu, CentOS, etc).  So is Mandriva and probably SuSE, if
I'm not wrong.  In fact, the FHS issues GNUstep had were precisely the
reason why it was not packaged for Fedora until recently.