Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:47:36 +0100

I thought about this last night ...

IMO our default (of course we need to be able to choose other alternatives easily, but I think you have already make gnustep-make support that) should be to install things in native locations so they work with no further effort. As Truls Becken pointed out yesterday, that might mean having gnustep-make run ldconfig (or equivalent) when installing libraries and frameworks as well as just putting things in the 'right' place.

Well, if /usr/local/lib is not in ld.so.conf (it isn't by default on most Linux distributions), running ldconfig won't help. So, we'd also have to hack /etc/ld.so.conf upon installation to add /usr/local/lib/ (or equivalent action on other unices) ... that is getting very system- specific
and installation-unfriendly - we don't really want to do that.

I have been thinking about this, and I am now wondering if --with- layout=gnustep isn't actually still the simpler solution for new users if we print a *huge* warning at the end of configure (and make install) about sourcing GNUstep.sh. ;-)

Otherwise, we may now have a new wave of problems from new users, who don't have /usr/local/bin in their PATH and don't know how to set their PATH, or who don't have /usr/local/lib in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf (or whatever it is on their different Unix system)
and don't know how to change them etc. :-(

We'll end up telling them to run /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/ Makefiles/GNUstep.sh as that's the easiest way of doing all of the above in a single command, but then there is no longer any advantage compared to the GNUstep layout ;-)

The 'fhs' layout has the advantage that is more familiar to new Unix users. That is great. But in terms of setting up the environment, just sourcing GNUstep.sh would remain the easiest way for them to do that. So, we shouldn't be switching to 'fhs' hoping that that will allow new users to run GNUstep stuff without sourcing GNUstep.sh ... and the problem of switching to 'fhs' is that the GNUstep.sh file would be in a different location so millions of web pages and web posts telling people to source /usr/ GNUstep/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh would no longer work. ;-)

I'm personally no longer that convinced about switching to 'fhs' as default. But I'm happy to be convinced otherwise. ;-)

Thanks