gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS Good!

From: Steven Bosscher
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS Good!
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:05:13 +0200

Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

I'm under contract to write a book about parallel programming for Springer; for now, I'm using Intel's compiler in the OpenMP sections, and gcc for the MPI (mpich) code. Thus I have my mind buried deep inside the subject for the next few months.

Cool!!! When is it due, I''ll buy a copy :-)

At the moment, I'm focused on OpenMP, developing a series of "real world" examples for the text. The examples follow a graduated pattern of increasing complexity, and stress many of the odd nooks and crannies in OpenMP.

From a cursory look at libgomp, a configure script appears to be something I could contribute. I can also start putting some flesh on the bones of the library.

Should we include the OpenMP specifications and other references on the web site or CVS?

I am *not* an expert on compiler internals, nor do I have intimate knowledge of gcc's code generator; it's been more than a decade since I last hacked a compiler (Modula-2!) That isn't to say that I'm unwilling to start modifying gcc -- however, I would prefer a bit of guidance and more knowledge before committing compiler code to screen.

It would certainly be helpful if we would agree on how to implement things on the compiler side. This seems to depends mostly on what Diego and Pop can do...

The library looks like the easy part...

Gr.
Steven