gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS Good!

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS Good!
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:42:56 +0200

I was thinking that we keep the stub lib as a stub, ( perhaps in libgomp/lib/stub ) and then populate a different set for the different targets. MPI seem's to be a very popular target for OpenMP compilers/translaters to support :-) ... good to know that you be up to date on everything.

Well, I will try to 'manually' translate some of the openmp examples or code tailored to exercise the lib into 'hardcoded gcc code generation' a'la exa, probably by taking a GOOD look at treelang.

I don't know what you think, but I still think that keeping a buildable stub lib is worthwhile, if for nothing else so for debugging.

I haven't had much time lately, and it will not improve in the near future, but I'll do my best.

 / regards, Lars Segerlund.

Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
Lars Segerlund wrote:

Not a day to early, it was starting to resemble 'a neverending story' :-)

Tell me about it! :)

 What have you been planing to do ?

Quite honestly, I'm not sure. I'll re-read Biago's design document today, to refresh my memory.

Do we have a plan of action? I've been awfully busy in the last two months, so I'm out of the loop a bit.

Here's where I stand on things:

I'm under contract to write a book about parallel programming for Springer; for now, I'm using Intel's compiler in the OpenMP sections, and gcc for the MPI (mpich) code. Thus I have my mind buried deep inside the subject for the next few months.

At the moment, I'm focused on OpenMP, developing a series of "real world" examples for the text. The examples follow a graduated pattern of increasing complexity, and stress many of the odd nooks and crannies in OpenMP.

From a cursory look at libgomp, a configure script appears to be something I could contribute. I can also start putting some flesh on the bones of the library.

Should we include the OpenMP specifications and other references on the web site or CVS?

I am *not* an expert on compiler internals, nor do I have intimate knowledge of gcc's code generator; it's been more than a decade since I last hacked a compiler (Modula-2!) That isn't to say that I'm unwilling to start modifying gcc -- however, I would prefer a bit of guidance and more knowledge before committing compiler code to screen.

Essentially, that's where I stand. Where to from here?

..Scott