gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] Library foundation?

From: Biagio Lucini
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Library foundation?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:11:36 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

> Biagio Lucini wrote:
> > Question: will our library be some OpenMP -> NPTL (or whatever POSIX we
> > choose) interface or do we want to go dirtier into low-level programming?
>
> Much as I like the Native Posix Thread Library, my understanding is that
> it is a superset of POSIX; I think we'll want to find a common "core",
> and only use NPTL-specific code when compiling for Linux.
>
> Are we going to require a POSIX-compatible system? Everything I work
> with has a POSIX layer, but I'm certain that's not universal across the
> realm of GNU.
>
> For a first implementation, I think we can avoid low-level programming.
> We can always implement platform-specific code later, as warranted by
> performance and available hardware.

I was explicitely thinking of mutex and locks when I said the above. Is it
possible to do it in a model-independent way? My idea was to take as
fundation a well-established threading library and to build interfaces to
it. If we don't, sometimes we will have to go very low level, and this
will also carry a dependence on the O.S.

Opinions?

Biagio