gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] regresssion from 2011: git head fails to build on NetBSD

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] regresssion from 2011: git head fails to build on NetBSD
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 19:59:00 -0400

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> I like Greg's suggestion of having scons check bail up front if chrpath isn't
> installed.

Working on it.  That's a difficult spot to put a guard for purely technical
scons reasons.

> > I think that means your Python installation is too old.  What version are
> > you running?
>
> Python 2.7.5 (default, Oct  8 2013, 12:18:28)
> [GCC 4.8.1 20130814 (Red Hat 4.8.1-6)] on linux2
>
> That's on a not-yet-released Fedora 20 so there might be something strange on
> that system.

That's strange.  Same version I'm running.

> I tried it on a Fedora 19 system but I've got a new problem.  This now
> happens on both systems.
>
> gcc -o gpsdecode -Wl,-rpath=/home/murray/gpsd/gpsd -Wl,-rpath=//usr/local/lib
> gpsdecode.o -L. -L/usr/local/lib -lgpsd -lgps -lm
> ./libgpsd.so: undefined reference to `pthread_create'
> scons: *** [gpsdecode] Error 1
> scons: building terminated because of errors.
>
> It worked a while ago on the F-20 box.  (That's how we got far enough to
> discuss errors from scons check.)

Try pulling head again.  The compilation needs the -pthread option;
I've fixed the build system to supply this.

> This error message is followed by a backtrace which isn't helpful.
>   Package ncurses was not found in the pkg-config search path.
>   Perhaps you should add the directory containing `ncurses.pc'
>   to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
>   No package 'ncurses' found
>
> You might tweak that to suggest looking in build.txt and putting a paragraph
> in there about needing to install ncurses-devel on Fedora.

Alas, I don't control that error message; it's generated deep inside