gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] My issue queue is empty

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] My issue queue is empty
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:19:59 -0500

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> I've tried gpsmon on several SiRF III units.  All it says is Generic NMEA.

That is expected behavior if the SiRF-IIIs are running in NMEA mode rather
than binary.  If you want to hint to it that the device is a SiRF (for example
in order to change modes), use the option "-t SiRF".

> So either it didn't try the SiRF probe or that probe is silent.

It didn't try.  gpsmon, unlike gpsd, never ships anything to the GPS
that you don't explicitly tell it to.  This is a design choice; gpsmon
is a monitor and diagnostic tool rather than an active device manager
like gpsd, so running it should normally perturb as few variables as
possible.  If you want it to probe the device, use the 'i' command.

I've added a paragraph emphasizing this to the gpsmon manual page.

> A flag in the GSV column to indicate which satellites it is using would be
> nice.

I've considered this.  But that would duplicate information in the GSA window,
and the design philosophy of gpsmon is to stay close to the actual sentences
delivered from the device, with only the minimum of data reduction required
for sanity checking.  cgps, on the other hand, has exactly such a display.

> How do I cleanup the gpsmon screen after I type a bogus command?
> For example, if I type "f", return, it goes into blinking Unknown Command
> mode  (and I really hate blinking text)

That's interesting.  I didn't tell the text display it should blink; I
wonder why it's doing so for you? What's your terminal type?

I'll try to implement Ctl-L as a screen refresh command later today.