gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] My issue queue is empty

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] My issue queue is empty
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:02:05 -0800

> It didn't try.  gpsmon, unlike gpsd, never ships anything to the GPS that
> you don't explicitly tell it to.  This is a design choice; gpsmon is a
> monitor and diagnostic tool rather than an active device manager like gpsd,
> so running it should normally perturb as few variables as possible.  If you
> want it to probe the device, use the 'i' command.

Thanks.  Makes sense.

If I run gpsd and gpsmon non-direct, it says SiRF binary and shows lots of
non-NMEA stuff.

If I stop gpsd and run gpsmon -t SiRF direct, it says Generic NMEA(SiRF
binary).  It starts in NMEA mode.  Does gpsd switch back to NMEA when it
exits?  The n command switches to binary.  The Generic NMEA in the header
goes away.  Another n switches the data stream back to NMEA, but the display
is stuck in binary mode.  The logging at the bottom is full of UNK.

If I switch to binary and exit and restart (without -t), it starts up in SiRF
Binary mode.  n acts as above: data switches but display doesn't.

-----------

[Request tag in GSV column for used satellites]
> But that would duplicate information in the GSA window

Thanks.  That's what I was looking for.

[blinking stuff on gpsmon input area]

> That's interesting.  I didn't tell the text display it should blink; I
> wonder why it's doing so for you? What's your terminal type?

TERM=xterm

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.