gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Changing build systems

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Changing build systems
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 22:53:17 -0400

Mike Frysinger <address@hidden>:
> i prefer autotools myself having used most of the different build systems out
> there, but i understand that a lot of people can't handle doing them right,

I have been wrestling with autotools ever since it first shipped.  I
have been a maintainer on over thirty projects that used autotools
builds, often quite complex ones.  I have both originated autotools
recipes and modified difficult ones written by other people.

You can pull that "most people can't do it right" with somebody who
just wandered in last year, or possibly last decade - but not with me.  I
*can* do it right, and repeatedly have.  What, did you think the
recipes for fetchmail or giflib or INTERCAL or sng fell off a cabbage
truck?

I'll never be offended by anyone differing with me about a technical issue,
choice of build system or anything else.  But don't try to sell *me* on
any theory that I'd love autotools if I only understood it.  I understand it
all too goddamned well, thank you.