gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Changing build systems

From: Bernd Ocklin
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Changing build systems
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 13:57:38 +0100

Paul

On 2015-03-26 11:48, Paul Fertser wrote:
Hey Bernd,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 09:46:01AM +0100, Bernd Ocklin wrote:
However, only a complete clean & compile cycle is supported on OpenWRT. This
requires you to tar your sources into the OpenWRT local download repository
and recompile it from scratch for every minor code change in the
package.
I like OpenWrt (that's the only correct spelling BTW) too much to
refrain from commenting here. In fact, doing what you describe is
usually very easy.

$ make package/<packagename>/{clean,prepare} V=s
$ cd build_dir/target-*/<packagename>-*
$ <do whatever mods you want to try>
$ cd -
$ make package/<packagename>/compile V=s
$ <repeat as needed>
I am an fan myself, program a lot in it and I am well familiar with this procedure. It works flawlessly in most cases.

BUT for scons a change of files in the build_dir "make package/.../compile" does not trigger the actual re-build.

Maybe I should test this in the latest OpenWrt, discuss it on their mailing list. But its currently not annoying enough.

Bernd