gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ntpshmmon

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ntpshmmon
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:41:54 -0700

Yo Nuno!

Yeah, I see that now.  Thanks for your patience.  Bad design to have
a bit of data used by one standalone utility taking up space in ntpshm.h
and ntpshmread.c.

I've been digging at the whole PPS thing for a day and see this tangled
up in that. ntpshmmon is gonna more work than just your current tweak.
It seems to me that ntpshmmon assumes that SHMs don't change very fast.
But some GPS can do PPS up to 20 Hz and ntpshmmon should be able to
support that.

I'll be looking at your patch again later today, and how it relates to
some other issues.

What I'd really like to see is an ntpshmmon mode that is a lot less
verbose, but outputs on strange SHM data.  I'm chasing some PPS
issues that may be only happening once or twice a week, and don't want
to drown in raw data.  That something you'd like to look at?

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 14:30:11 +0100
Nuno Gonçalves <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:03 AM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> >> Aren't we saying the same thing? This value is created at the shm
> >> client side, so, when it is sampled and printed.
> >
> > CNo that is on gpsd server side.
>
> ntpshmmon.c gets it from enum segstat_t status = ntp_read(segments[i],
> &shm_stat, false);.
> ntp_read() is at ntpshmread.c and gets it from
> clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME, &shm_stat->tvc);.
>
> Dos this look to come from gpsd?
>
> I don't see any other bug related to the problem I reported. I'm sure
> there are, but they don't seem to have any effects at this specific
> problem...

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588