Re: anyone running cfengine2 on debian sarge?

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Re: anyone running cfengine2 on debian sarge?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:41:20 -0500

Karsten Heymann wrote:

> I'm trying to deploy cfengine2 on Debian Sarge and am having some
> questions about the install-defaults of the debian package. Especially
> I am wondering wether its default filesystem layout - workdir is
> /var/lib/cfeninge2, /var/lib/cfengine2/inputs is a symlink to
> /etc/cfengine and /var/lib/cfengine2/bin is a symlink to /usr/sbin --
> makes any sense.
>
> I have a lot of questions, if there is someone who is using cfengine2
> on debian I'd be glad to exchange experiences.

I'm running cfengine on Stable, Testing, and Unstable.

I build my own packages for Stable, but currently I'm using the official
packages for Testing and Unstable (though they are lagging a little).

I agree with you about the workdir; I find the Debian defaults quite
annoying. And cfengine doesn't have a good way of figuring out the
difference between Testing and Unstable. Currently I'm using the
following hack:

    debian_testing = (
        ReturnsZero(/bin/sh -c '
            /bin/grep testing /etc/apt/sources.list >/dev/null 2>&1
        ')
    )
    debian_unstable = (
        ReturnsZero(/bin/sh -c '
            /bin/grep unstable /etc/apt/sources.list >/dev/null 2>&1
        ')
    )

Anyone else have a better way?

There was some good stuff in the archives a while ago about strategies
for using apt-get in cfengine fragments.