Re: anyone running cfengine2 on debian sarge?

From: Jamie Wilkinson
Subject: Re: anyone running cfengine2 on debian sarge?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:44:10 +1000

This one time, at band camp, Karsten Heymann wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to deploy cfengine2 on Debian Sarge and am having some questions
>about the install-defaults of the debian package. Especially I am wondering
>wether its default filesystem layout - workdir
>is  /var/lib/cfeninge2, /var/lib/cfengine2/inputs is a symlink
>to /etc/cfengine and /var/lib/cfengine2/bin is a symlink to /usr/sbin --
>makes any sense.
>
>I have a lot of questions, if there is someone who is using cfengine2 on
>debian I'd be glad to exchange experiences.

I'm using the Debian cfengine2 packages, and I'm sorely tempted to
repacakge the lot because of that retarded layout.

So, when I bootstrap a Debian server I have to remember to remove all
the symlinks and fix up /var/lib/cfengine2 directory before it gets
enrolled, otherwise my initial update.conf turns the inputs directory
into a file.

So, I feel your pain, but probably the right course of action is to file
lots of bugs on the Debian package and try to convince the maintainer
that /etc/cfengine2 and /var/lib/cfengine2 shouldn't be symlinked.

As for the name 'cfengine2' thats a whole other rant...

--
jaq@spacepants.org                           http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg