help-debbugs

Re: controlling how long before archiving?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: controlling how long before archiving?
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2024 13:46:17 +0100

Felix Lechner via "General discussion for the tracker at
debbugs.gnu.org" <help-debbugs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Karl,

Hi Felix,

>> The main visible change I can imagine is taking longer for bugs to
>> "disappear" from the online reports -- the disappearance is another
>> thing I find confusing rather than helpful, but I recognize it's been
>> that way forever, so change might not be welcome.
>
> Disappear from where, please? You mean that you have to chose archived
> bugs in the search criteria?

When I search in the bug database, I often choose to search for
non-archived bugs only. When bugs have a longer time to disappear from
the "recent" bug database, the search might take longer, and I might get
more false positive hits. For my personal workflow, 28 days is fine. And
I guess there are other people with the same personal preference.

>> further issues arise related to the bug, which can easily happen
>> months or years later ...It seems better to add to the relevant
>> existing bug than start a new one.
>
> As someone who has closed and commented on hundreds of bug reports at
> Debian, I am not sure that reopening bugs is good practice unless the
> fix was clearly defective.

Agreed.

> Kind regards
> Felix