help-debbugs

Re: controlling how long before archiving?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: controlling how long before archiving?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 14:16:44 +0100

Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Felix,

>> When I search in the bug database
>
> Do you use the 'estraier' full-text search? I don't think that's working
> yet on my clone on debbugs.juix.org. Please describe some recent
> searches so I can test.

I use the estraier full-text search, but this isn't relevant
here. AFAIK, you cannot separate the full-text search between archived
and unarchived bug reports (but I might be wrong).

What I'm thinking about is something like a bug triage. You want to work
on bugs only which are open, and the more unarchived and closed bugs
there are, the longer the list. Yes, I know I could tune the search with
attributes, but this makes it less convenient.

>> For my personal workflow, 28 days is fine.
>
> Could it be an option in the search screen? Something like:
>
> Include:
>
>    [X] open bugs
>    [X] any bugs closed in the past [NNN] days

I cannot answer, I never use any Debbugs web interface. That's why I
have written the Emacs debbugs package :-)

>> I guess there are other people with the same personal preference.
>
> I'd prefer if the archving step created no controversy at all. For
> example, we could make it impossible to comment on all closed bugs. It
> would effectively merge the "close" and "archive" steps and make the
> latter obsolete.

No, it must be possible to comment on unarchived closed bugs. When a
developer closes a bug, and the originator or somebody else disagrees,
(s)he must be able to express this disagreement.

> Kind regards
> Felix

Best regards, Michael.