Re: More emacs instances

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: More emacs instances
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:30:35 +0200

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Remember my Gnus is NOT using Imap. It uses maildir which in turn is
>> populated by offlineimap.
>>
>> Its to keep it separate from my main emacs instance which frequently
>> needs restarting.
>>
>> I used to use a single daemon but find it freezes that little too much -
>> not often but enough to make me want a separate email instance. Also I
>> like to keep my gnus/erc or irssi hidden away (detach tmux) so I dont
>> get too trigger happy ;)
>
> What does "detach tmux" mean exactly?

http://www.google.com/search?q=detach+tmux

you can detach (vanishes) and later reattach. Its one of the main
reasons for screen/tmux. The ability to attach/detach from a
session. particularly useful for when you ssh in from abroad and just
reattach to see your email etc.

> And how much can I trust Gnus manipulating my Maildir?
> Isn't it a server more reliable in general?

I dont know how much you can trust it. I trust it implicitly as I have
been using it without issue for a while.

> I'm also trying hard to finally have this kind of separation working,
> and until now I was able to configure bitlbee with erc very nicely.
>
> I think I will have different instances *but* with the same
> configuration.
> I could just use a different desktop file for the other instane and
> everything would work great.
>
> Now I have for example
>

> Now I have for example
>   (defun bitlbee ()
>     "connect to bitlbee"
>     (interactive)
>     (select-frame (make-frame))
>     (erc :server "localhost" :port "6667" :nick "andrea"))

I open the bitlbee server as I do freenode and they all live happily in
the same frame. erc then handles chats with gtalk etc (via bitlbee) as
it does all standard #irc channels.