Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 05:20:16 +0200

Van L wrote:

> A possible starting point for transitioning
> from the mouse to boosting keyboard
> productivity is for the right third of the
> keyboard under the delete-key to do arrow-key
> navigation and block/line/page/def jumping
> through text by hyper or super key combos on
> the eight keys around RET and SHIFT.
> Sending the right hand all the way to the
> bottom right corner for the arrow keys
> requires an entire hand move, again, to
> get back.

Yes, only I think the arrow keys should be
where the right hand already is, or should be
for touch typing, namely at ijkl where i = up,
k = down, j = left, and l = right.

My first computer was a Mac Plus in the late
80s, and there were tons of little games,
Lode Runner and such, and all those used ijkl
like this. And it works great for Emacs as
well! I have M-i "scroll-up-1" and M-k
"scroll-down-1", with M-I "scroll-up-pane" and
M-K "scroll-down-pane" [1] _everywhere_, in
every mode. Awesome stuff!

Now in a recent post I said one should throw
the mouse away. Good idea! But there are
exception where the mouse is helpful, in
application that are visual in nature.
For example GIS and map applications. If we
assume the user isn't a southpaw, so [s]he uses
the mouse with the right hand, the arrow keys
should then not be as above but instead the
wsad keys. Just like in Quake, or Dark Castle,
if we stick to the Mac Plus: aim with the
mouse, move with the keys.

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/scroll.el

--
underground experts united