koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] [URGENT] Move away from Savannah/CVS

From: Pierrick LE GALL
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] [URGENT] Move away from Savannah/CVS
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:49:12 +0100

Hi Koha team,

"Joshua M. Ferraro" <address@hidden> writes:

> Q: What about losing all our version history?
> A: A move to Google will mean we'll lose our version
> history, that's true.

Really? Migrating a CVS repository to a SVN repository is a "piece of
cake" with cvs2svn. Once done, I would be very surprised if Google was
not able to import an existing dump.

> Personally, I can't imagine we'd want to roll back any of the code in
> either rel_2_2, dev_week or head.

Losing version history is not about being able to roll back but about
being able to track modifications to know where a bug comes from, in my
opinion. In any case, losing history is serious :-/

Concerning Google as SVN host, I think it is a good choice if you only
consider the SVN repository. They indeed employ some Subversion
developpers, such as Ben Collins-Sussman. They know Subversion as if
they had made it ;-).

In term of user interface and feature to manage a project, Google is far
behind gna.org for example, but if Koha doesn't use the bugtracker or
mailing-list... is that important?

Cheers,

--
Pierrick LE GALL