koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] [URGENT] Move away from Savannah/CVS

From: Nathan Gray
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] [URGENT] Move away from Savannah/CVS
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:51:04 -0400

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 11:56:46AM -0500, Joshua M. Ferraro wrote:
> ----- "MJ Ray" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > git is dead easy.  Really.  If you're going to do something
> > dangerous,
> > you almost always can take a backup and put it back if you break
> > things (it's just a directory on disk in many ways).  Give it a go.
> >
> > Also, if other koha developers had been using git and the
> > cvs-compatibility commands, we could all have been working through
> > this Savannah downtime.
>
> It's not that git, arch, etc., are hard to use ... it's the
> concept and management of a distributed version control system,
> and the lack of a clear leader in this arena that leads me to
> conclude that DVC is not quite there yet. We don't have much
> bandwidth to devote to managing a version control system in this
> community, I don't want to hop from DVC to DVC as I've seen so
> many other projects do. Again, this is my opinion, I'm not speaking
> for the Koha community or for Paul / Chris ... I'd love to hear
> everyone else's thoughts on the matter.

I remember seeing that about git as well, that there are
cvs-compatibility commands.

I would much prefer to go with a distributed system than centralized.
I have not used git, but have friends who have, and it has really
helped their projects a lot.

If someone knows how to set up a git repository, now is a great time
to do it.  Then at least people can play with git while we cannot
access CVS.

-kolibrie