koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] [URGENT] Move away from Savannah/CVS

From: Jerry Van Baren
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] [URGENT] Move away from Savannah/CVS
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:22:01 -0400

Joshua M. Ferraro wrote:
Hi MJ,

First, I'll say, as always, I appreciate your perspective,
I think you do raise some good points. See responses below:

----- "MJ Ray" <address@hidden> wrote:

[snip]

[...] we're software developers, not proper sys admins [...]
I do currently work as a proper sysadmin (as much as a programmer,
most weeks) which is why I've not been that active on koha lately.
The comment was certainly not meant as an insult to you or anyone
else on koha-devel. It was specifically relevant to the current
project administrators, Chris, Paul and me.

git is dead easy.  Really.  If you're going to do something
dangerous,
you almost always can take a backup and put it back if you break
things (it's just a directory on disk in many ways).  Give it a go.

Also, if other koha developers had been using git and the
cvs-compatibility commands, we could all have been working through
this Savannah downtime.

It's not that git, arch, etc., are hard to use ... it's the concept and management of a distributed version control system,
and the lack of a clear leader in this arena that leads me to
conclude that DVC is not quite there yet. We don't have much
bandwidth to devote to managing a version control system in this
community, I don't want to hop from DVC to DVC as I've seen so
many other projects do. Again, this is my opinion, I'm not speaking
for the Koha community or for Paul / Chris ... I'd love to hear
everyone else's thoughts on the matter.

There is a clear leader and it is "git." Linus looked at all of the DVCs and found them wanting, so he wrote git. Since then it has been enhanced tremendously and is being used by a huge number of people developing linux as well as those that are compiling their own kernels but not actively developing linux. There are other projects using git as well: I'm aware of x.org and u-boot and I know there are more.

Q: why google instead of gna.org, etc.
A: hosting at a project like gna.org, could result in the
same situation we're in now in a few months. With Google,
we get a Subversion implementation backed by Google's
massively scalable, highly available storage technology,
and some of the best sys admins in the world.
And backed by one of the least-loved corporations in the world today,
boycotted by a wide range of groups, from privacy campaigners,
through
some private authors (after copyright problems), through to Students
for a Free Tibet.  I thought Google was even contraversial among
librarians (despite offering some good ideas that we should adopt),
but maybe I misunderstood.

Well, perhaps a distant third after Microsoft and Walmart.  :-)

IMHO, most of the people boycotting Google are doing it more to grind their own axe than because there is a substantial problem with Google. You get a lot more press by announcing you are boycotting Google than by announcing you are boycotting iServ.

[snip]

Excuse my wariness on this, but I've seen good hosting services go
strange in the past, changing project administrators and other tricks
themselves.  I've no idea whether Google would do that, but I also
can't see what we could do to them if they did.
I can appreciate the wariness; whatever decision we make, it's clear
we need to mirror the repository to ensure survival.

I'd like to hear more input from others, do MJ's concerns resonate?

No major resonance here.

Best regards,
gvb