Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement (Sagar Acharya : 2)

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement (Sagar Acharya : 2)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 21:05:09 +0200

Most people on here already know how bad things are, but I don't think it's
black or white win or lose.

Do we really know how bad things are? Is there a report somewhere showing, for example adoption in free software, copyleft license and dependency in proprietary software / noncopyleft software in numbers and how it has evolved over the time?

On a side note, do we have success criteria (over achievable stages, not just disappearance of proprietary software from the world) that we can use to compare and good metrics to measure the progress of the movement?

  Either way, you can't control other people or society, what are YOU going to
do. If what you want is money, go get it. If you want to be completely off the
grid, you can move to rural South America or something. If you really do want
everyone to be free, I would say get involved in your community and take up
posts where you are needed there and in the broader free software community.
Complaining and preaching to the choir like this doesn't accomplish anything.

I don't know about others, but I find OP's posts as well as some replies (e.g. Davis Remmel's) informative and useful. I appreciate the on-topic discussions in this thread.