Re: Support RMS

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 07:36:56 +0300

* Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva@fsfla.org> [2021-04-16 01:40]:
> People who believe them are likely to be turned away not just from the
> FSF, but from any public appearance by RMS as leader or regular
> participant in the movement he founded.
>
> If we accept the premise that RMS's misbehavior drives people away, then
> attributing far worse misbehavior to him drives more people away from
> the movement.

Exactly that is what I argue for, I just did not express it well enough.

> Conversely, people who do NOT believe the false accusations perceive
> intolerance and a toxic atmosphere being supported by a significant
> fraction of the movement.
>
> If we accept the premise that misbehavior attributed to RMS drives
> people away, then it's hard to dispute that the displays of intolerance
> and toxic atmosphere will also drive people away, probably in a larger
> magnitude.

Yes. However, I have impression that it is just few people who
initiate and drive others to kind of "join" but those others don't
have first person experiences.

It seem to me that group of these people abusively, not rationally,
pick on RMS for reason of being human. There is no possible way that
RMS will agree with everybody, especially RMS, but I have been
watching Libreplanet videos, I did not see none of them spoiled for
some unreasonable behavior.

I rather find behavior of initiators of defaming and character
assassinations rather psychotic more sociopath in this sense, lacking
empathy to such a high degree.

What you explain in this email is exactly reasonable empathy, you
analyse the effect on both sides, you can feel for this and the other
side. That is opposite and in contrast to those very few who initiated
character assassination.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns