Re: Support RMS

From: Danny Spitzberg
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 21:43:50 -0700

   On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 9:39 PM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

     * Alexandre Oliva <[1]lxoliva@fsfla.org> [2021-04-16 01:40]:
     > People who believe them are likely to be turned away not just from
     the
     > FSF, but from any public appearance by RMS as leader or regular
     > participant in the movement he founded.
     >
     > If we accept the premise that RMS's misbehavior drives people
     away, then
     > attributing far worse misbehavior to him drives more people away
     from
     > the movement.
     Exactly that is what I argue for, I just did not express it well
     enough.
     > Conversely, people who do NOT believe the false accusations
     perceive
     > intolerance and a toxic atmosphere being supported by a
     significant
     > fraction of the movement.
     >
     > If we accept the premise that misbehavior attributed to RMS drives
     > people away, then it's hard to dispute that the displays of
     intolerance
     > and toxic atmosphere will also drive people away, probably in a
     larger
     > magnitude.
     Yes. However, I have impression that it is just few people who
     initiate and drive others to kind of "join" but those others don't
     have first person experiences.
     It seem to me that group of these people abusively, not rationally,
     pick on RMS for reason of being human. There is no possible way that
     RMS will agree with everybody, especially RMS, but I have been
     watching Libreplanet videos, I did not see none of them spoiled for
     some unreasonable behavior.

   Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, the recording of the talk cuts off
   before RMS started yelling angrily.

     I rather find behavior of initiators of defaming and character
     assassinations rather psychotic more sociopath in this sense,
     lacking
     empathy to such a high degree.

   I do feel bad for RMS. He seems entirely beyond remorse, even in his
   recent statement -- essentially, "I'm sorry people are upset" not "I'm
   sorry that I don't understand people's feedback."

     What you explain in this email is exactly reasonable empathy, you
     analyse the effect on both sides, you can feel for this and the
     other
     side. That is opposite and in contrast to those very few who
     initiated
     character assassination.
     --
     Jean