better terminology to promote freedom

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: better terminology to promote freedom
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 23:49:20 +0000

Hi everyone,

I started this on twitter[1] and mastodon[2], but thought I'd also
start the discussion here, where likeminded people exist who, I
believe, can contribute to this discussion. My questions relate to
terminology regarding "free software" and "proprietary software". Here
goes:

I've been thinking: what if we had a better term than "free software"
to say "free software"?  Same ideological zeal, in an unambiguous
fashion. This question pertains to English-speaking communities.

I have decided to say "freedom software".
Also: "freedom hardware".

Thoughts?

The other fallback term, which I've sometimes used already, is
"freedom-respecting software".

All software I release is also free of charge. That said, I want there
to be no (or less) ambiguity about what I mean when I talk about
software or hardware. I'm in favour of *freedom*.

Another problem: what should we say when referring to proprietary
software?

Many people, especially in the west, view "proprietary" as a good
thing. They see "property" and think you don't own free software (yet,
you do own your copy).

I propose the term "restricted software".