Re: better terminology to promote freedom

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: better terminology to promote freedom
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 17:20:45 -0700

Hi Leah, my talk from Saturday focused a lot on the question of terminology, though I didn't get into this specific topic more than a little.

Freedom as a noun is good, "software freedom"

But for adjective, I like FLO for Free/Libre/Open. It's not just a junk term, it writes and pronounces nicely. The sound being like "flow" is fine, that connotation fits.

More on that at
https://wiki.snowdrift.coop/about/free-libre-open

It's definitely not about being ideologically neutral, it's about strong care about all the political principles.

I also agree that "proprietary" is ineffective in a lot of ways. But your critique is a bit off. Proprietary *does* mean property. It's an adjective for property. And I'd argue that we don't "own" free software copies, we own computer devices, and those devices can have whatever patterns of bits. What non-free licenses do is they tell us that we are legally blocked from freely using our own computing devices. I think we would do well to focus on that type of ownership and not ownership of software.

Ownership of software really means ownership of copyright. And when we have a free software license, we are legally licensed under the owner's copyright, and the license grants us all the freedoms.

But this doesn't resolve how to better talk about proprietary software.

If we go with FLO, then we can say non-FLO. And one thing I like about that is that it makes FLO the default. But I'd prefer a stronger term.

In my talk, I focused on the economics of abundant vs scarce and open vs exclusive. And within the four types of goods, proprietary software is "club goods" which means abundant but exclusive. And it makes sense to use that language maybe.

Proprietary software is "exclusive club-goods software" or maybe "exclusive software". And if people ask, "what do you mean it's exclusive, anyone can get it", the answer is, "it's exclusive to those who accept the ads, the terms and restrictions, and/or pay the license fee; that's how you join the exclusive club!" Or in some cases, it's "access and use of the software isn't exclusive, but the rights to share and to adapt the software is exclusively reserved, so you don't have those freedoms. That's why it's still a form of exclusive software."

Some people won't mind that software is exclusive, but there's no simple word that can explain what's wrong without explaining why software freedom matters.

And as long as we talk about the exclusive club, we can also emphasize that there are certain people who set and change the rules for the club, that it's not democratic.

With this language, we are making it clear to people how to think about their RELATIONSHIP to the software and the software providers and the economics of it.

All that said, I think "restricted software" is FINE, that's a good option and superior to "proprietary" for most cases.

My inclination at this point is actually to prefer "restricted software".

So, I think it's good to have two terms that can be presented as opposing. "FLO software" and "restricted software" works well IMO.

Best,
Aaron Wolf

P.S. sorry if double-sending, strange Thunderbird glitches just now