Re: better terminology to promote freedom

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: better terminology to promote freedom
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 00:06:38 +0000

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 00:58:35 +0100
Valentino Giudice <valentino.giudice96@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've heard "freedom software" too, but it's slightly weird. Surely
> "freedom-respecting software" conveys the idea, but it is longer and,
> I believe, less prone to being treated as a "technical" term with an
> objective definition and a common understanding (which is useful when
> the term ends up in the law).
>
> Why not "libre software"? It's already common, it's easily understood
> by any English-speaking person (because they will know "liberty") and
> better translates to other languages.

Well, "libre" is great too, but I get the impression that not all
English speakers understand its meaning when they first see it. It's
largely a translation of words from other languages.

The term "freedom" is well-understood by English speakers, and it is
mostly unambiguous. Also, many people know English as a second or third
language and in such cases, the word is still well-understood.

I'm sceptical about the term "libre", just because it's not the default
word in English-speaking countries (freedom is the default word, for
the intended meaning we wish to convey).