Re: better terminology to promote freedom

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: better terminology to promote freedom
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 11:24:57 +1100

On Sun 2022-03-20 23:49:20 +0000, Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I started this on twitter[1] and mastodon[2], but thought I'd also
> start the discussion here, where likeminded people exist who, I
> believe, can contribute to this discussion. My questions relate to
> terminology regarding "free software" and "proprietary software". Here
> goes:
>
> I've been thinking: what if we had a better term than "free software"
> to say "free software"?  Same ideological zeal, in an unambiguous
> fashion. This question pertains to English-speaking communities.
>
> I have decided to say "freedom software".
> Also: "freedom hardware".
>
> Thoughts?

I don't see any problem with "free software".  Software is like speech,
or knowledge, and where a "free" qualification should mean freedom.  It
is unfortunate that it has been interpreted as "gratis" by some people.

TBH there are more important issues to deal with in free software
movement than agonising over the terminology "free software".

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.org/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>