Re: What does Elon Musk say about free software?

From: Yasuaki Kudo
Subject: Re: What does Elon Musk say about free software?
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 08:23:43 +0900

I think Free Software licenses are great and the rest is just pure competition
of merits.

We can reduce the activity to just being better than proprietary.

For this, we need to be really creative.  Just Replacing twitter with something
else is one simple idea but certainly just a beginning of our brainstorming.

- Email is a dominant protocol but there are many service providers.   Can we
do something similar for public messaging?   I have this mastodon thing and I
have been a computer programmer for 30 years but I still can't figure out how
it works at all.   The whole thing is very cryptic.  What's wrong here?

- It seems that certain public do want censorship according to their taste -
how do we enable this?   This is a kind of feature that favors Free Software
version because when it comes to any control or empowerment, the owners of
proprietary systems insist they and only they have a leg up.

- Advertisements are very annoying.  Free Software versions can remove them?

- Can we create a 'crowd development' systems development model designed to
work with thousands of software designers, specification writers, programmers
and so on.

- Free Software movement seems quite weak on getting involved with the much
larger community of the general public.  Can we do better?

etc.

Oh man, this gets me very excited!

Monopoly systems becoming obsoleted by new paradigms are very normal around the
computer circle - can Democratic Software movement do the same against the
incumbent oligarchical systems? 😄

-Yasu