Re: very specific project proposal Re: What does Elon Musk say about fre

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: very specific project proposal Re: What does Elon Musk say about free software?
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 16:53:26 +0100

On 01/05/2022 23:23, Thomas Lord wrote:

You sparked what I think is a really good idea in my head.
Of course, I can't judge if it really is a really good idea. :-)

I think/guess many people discover that twitter is a fun
and informative way to track some subject of interest.
Four examples:

   - follow all your favorite Hollywood celebrities

   - follow all your favorite news outlets / journalists

   - subscribe to a list that is cultivated to carry the
     tweets of credible climate scientists and related
     climate advocates and experts

   - subscribe to a list of people actively making and
     posting about making music

Conversely, celebrities, climate scientists and activists,
etc. are all seeking to reach large, interested audiences.

AHA!  That can be assembled out of Mastodon with few or no
changes -- mostly just by using it wisely.  As someone said,
the UI might benefit from some loving enhancement and documentation.

So could we perhaps share our mastodon / fedi id's on this list so we can all perhaps start following each other, as much as possible.

@zleap@qoto.org

To start the ball rolling on this one.

I am trying to put together a series of posts on my blog about cybersecurity, but starting off with, introducing the BASH shell using a series of 8 videos from youtube that I feel are good for beginners.

I can use these at code club too, and hopefully help raise awareness of free software at the same time.

https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton

With a link to the first video on May 4th

https://personaljournal.ca/paulsutton/cybersecurity-part-3

So trying to find resources and share them,  in a structured way.

Clearly this can lead to cybersecurity, but this series can also lead to a whole range of other areas, such as developing free software, and developing secure applications / services which is still important.

Something that I may look in to doing, as I want to encourage people to learn BASH scripting, python, networking etc, first then look at cybersecurity if they still wish to, they may decide to branch out and contribute to free software development.

The way I am doing this, won't be to everyone's taste, BUT I am happy to link to alternatives and further resources, so hopefully we can find a way to do complementary each other.

Paul