Re: very specific project proposal Re: What does Elon Musk say about fre

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: very specific project proposal Re: What does Elon Musk say about free software?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 10:45:39 -0700

Jean,

Thomas, you again spread Fears, Uncertainties and Doubts - FUD. I
cannot take your statements seriously.

That's fine.

I am curious if you think that the ~40 year old Free Software Movement
is doing an effective job of spreading the actual practice of software
freedom, and even the awareness of the option and what it means for
human freedom?

And if I want to point busy city officials or others who
could benefit from changing their practices to some web page
that will help them help themselves with that, smoothly
and efficiently, what page would you suggest?  What educational
materials will help someone like that?

How will potential users find those materials if I say simply
"check out fsf.org"?

What steps has FSF taken in recent decades that have helped
with this kind of problem?  Is the "free software ladder"
concept meant to do this (that isn't my understanding of it
so far)?

Similarly, say, a college student not in
computer science or anything close to that?  or a
professor who may be tempted to require students
to use unfree software -- where can they quickly and
easily check for a better option?

-t