Re: Accidentals' font

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Accidentals' font
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2020 23:42:08 +0200

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 10:19 PM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> > I don't understand why this is not part of Lilypond's project.  I
> > would use it as default.  But, at least, it should be added as a
> > ready-to-use option.
>
> You might not be aware because English is not your mother tongue, but
> what you write is very demanding and doesn't provide good feeling.
> Actually, a lot of developers are quite allergic to this kind of
> attitude.
>
> If you would write
>
>   ... I can imagine that it would be great to have it as a
>   ready-to-use option ...
>
> or something like that, this would be much more inviting.  In summary:
> Don't advertise your opinion as the only truth.

*All* my opinions are personal opinions. And I don't expect they will be
followed or implemented.

Meanwhile, for anyone interested I focus on some aspects that IMHO make
that font really desirable for Lilypond, at least as an option. Be free to
agree or not agree: here is my list

1) Look at the treble clef. IMHO Lilypond doesn't need to be so high, and
in fact the author of the font has reduced its height. Using a treble clef
higher than necessary leads to spacing problems between staves.

2) In general, for keys, there is no need to use bold glyph. The default
bold glyphs, which are Bravura's philosophy (AFAIK), were fine when
precision printers did not exist, because they were proportionate to the
thickness of the lines and stems.

3) Look at the time signature. In the Feta font the two numbers overlap and
can be annoying at the sight, IMHO. This problem was solved by the Gonville
font.

4) Look at the sharp glyph: it is reduced in width, saving space and
remaining perfectly legible at the same time.

5) Look at the flat glyph: the horizontal line has been reduced in
thickness, which once again pairs well with lighter staves and stems.

6) Look at the glyph of forcing: it forms a single word, and not the union
of three different characters (which is very distracting, in my opinion)

7) Look at the trill glyph: it's simpler, cleaner and less "baroque",

8) Look at the bequadro glyph: the Feta one is too large compared to the
NoteHead and this has also been corrected in the gonville font.

I could go on with many other details.
Which is of course my simple opinion; in any case I'm not asking to
implement anything. I'm just asking to add the excellent work done by the
author of the Font. A very meticulous work for which I thank him very much.

This addition does not involve any development. All the stuff is already
developed. Just simply, AFAIK, add the fonts to their respective
directories, as I have already done.

Hope this can help.

Best,