Re: Accidentals' font

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Accidentals' font
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2020 10:50:14 +0200

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 11:42 PM Paolo Prete <paolopr976@gmail.com> wrote:
> I could go on with many other details.
> Which is of course my simple opinion; in any case I'm not asking to
> implement anything. I'm just asking to add the excellent work done by the
> author of the Font. A very meticulous work for which I thank him very much.
>
> This addition does not involve any development. All the stuff is already
> developed. Just simply, AFAIK, add the fonts to their respective
> directories, as I have already done.

Here are some things to consider:

* You point to modern printers generating thinner lines. However, the
design objective of Feta was to mimic plate engraving with thicker
lines. In that sense it is working as intended, even if it is not your
preferred style.

(I do accept the blame for the font being a haphazard collection of
individual glyphs I happened to like, rather than a coherent
ensemble.)

* LilyPond is built from source. Although rare, it does happen that we
tweak glyphs (for example, see the work that Owen Taylor is doing for
Smufl support).  This process doesn't work well with Gonville, as it
is not generated with Metafont. How do you envision development
happening with Gonville as a standard font?

> Hope this can help.

I think the most practical solution is to wait for Smufl support for
LilyPond, which should make it easier to use a wide array of music
fonts.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwenn@gmail.com - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen