Re: lost in trying to fine oll-core and or package.ily

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: lost in trying to fine oll-core and or package.ily
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 10:36:27 -0500

On Tue 15 Oct 2019 at 10:28:36 (-0400), Freeman Gilmore wrote:
[…]
> > I am not a programmer, but I am trying to understand the include path.   Say
> > I clone here C:\openLilyLib\.   Then I want to use some files in
> > snippets; and I include the path C:\openLilyLib\snippets\.   Would that
> > include path give me access to all the files and subfiles in snippets?
> > Would
> > setting the path to C:\openLilyLib\in the environmental variables do
> > anything for this?     This and any thing you may add to this topic would
> > be useful to me.   So far Google has not cleared this up for me.

It sounds as if you might be confusing the Environment Variable PATH
with "paths" (filenames) in general. LilyPond uses commandline switches
(-I) as described in the documentation. If you want some paths included
automatically, then the usual way to do this is to redefine your LP
command or run it from a script. For example, my script adds the directories
--include="$HOME/LilyLib/" --include="$HOME/LilyLib/margins/"
--include="$HOME/LilyLib/parts-midis/"
to LP's search path, amongst other things. Those are "(absolute) paths
in general" or "directory names" and are in my home directory¹.

But PATH is an operating system Environment Variable that determines
where the OS searches for programs to run, and typically looks
something like
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/home/username/bin:/home/username/.local/bin
(the order might be different, and the above is in unix-style format).

> I have seen this in other places; were do I do this?   Is this an
> Environment Variable setting, if so how?   How do i add C:\openLilyLib *to*
> LilyPond's search path?   Else were most is explained but this but this
> step is left with no clue.

¹ HOME, like PATH, is an operating system Environment Variable, set
  to /home/username in this example. So "$HOME/LilyLib/" becomes
  /home/username/LilyLib/ when my script is executed.

Cheers,
David.