Re: [Mldonkey-users] TODO list

From: René Gallati
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] TODO list
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 19:58:00 +0100

Hello,

>> > - make it multi-threaded (?)
>> I thought that was a limitation of ocaml ?
>Yes but as mldonkey said, we could start 2 ocaml threads, or 1 ocaml and
>1 C thread.

Yep I read MLDonkeys answer afterwards. However if thread synchronization
prooves to be difficult in ocaml, it might get quite complicated even for
something like md4 hashing. There has to be some few data that need to pass
between those threads (hash this file, hash result is...) and if there is
nothing or buggy synch-code, that might produce some entire new and nasty
bugs.

Then again I don't know a bit ocaml it might just work well for that case.

>> > - port to windows : why is it so complicated ? Is it only due to the
>> > UNIX way of coding I/O (select...) ? Do you think that this port could
>> Windows has had multiplexed io (select) for a long time. That's nothing
>> special which is only present on unix systems. I've been doing some
network
>The POSIX subsystem in NT seems to be a mere wrapper to Windows
>functions ;) I've found that if you select to sockets and files, it
>starts 2 threads which each select one part. Not very surprised to see
>that this is done in the WIN32 way :)

Ah I've never looked at the Posix subsystem in NT. Win32 has a "native"
select call which is either in the standard Win32 API or in the winsock (I'm
rather convinced it resides in the winsock API). I haven't coded anything
for Win32 in two years so I'd have to look it up myself. But I've seen
select() and I've never looked at anything in the POSIX subsystem, so I'm
fairly sure there's two different kinds of 'em.

>> > be needed by people (programmers hate working for nothing ;)) ?
>> Not by me, I'll stick to linux.
>:)

But before you fall into the great black hole of "out of work" :) you might
want to document the ON protocol, last time I checked I couldn't find any
information about it anywhere on the net. And in the CVS Treedirectory
"docs" are some nice documents describing some of the other protocols.

--

C U