Re: [Mldonkey-users] TODO list

From: Norbert LATAILLE
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] TODO list
Date: 21 Dec 2002 19:35:38 +0100

-- resent message :(( --

Le sam 21/12/2002 à 18:19, René Gallati a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> > Once overnet support is correct, I'm thinking about working on other
> > issues on mldonkey. For example :
> > - make it multi-threaded (?)
>
> I thought that was a limitation of ocaml ?

Yes but as mldonkey said, we could start 2 ocaml threads, or 1 ocaml and
1 C thread.
After all, I'm surprised that Xavier Leroy (that I met 3 month ago in a
taxi near NICE) which is the linux pthreads guy (see manpage), has not
worked more one this point in ocaml.

> > - port to windows : why is it so complicated ? Is it only due to the
> > UNIX way of coding I/O (select...) ? Do you think that this port
could

> Windows has had multiplexed io (select) for a long time. That's
nothing
> special which is only present on unix systems. I've been doing some
network
> related work in Java and finally since 1.4. version of Java I can use
the
> selectors (the select call). I'd say that using select is the "way to
do
> it" - everything else might work but has severe other disadvantages.

The POSIX subsystem in NT seems to be a mere wrapper to Windows
functions ;) I've found that if you select to sockets and files, it
starts 2 threads which each select one part. Not very surprised to see
that this is done in the WIN32 way :)

> > be needed by people (programmers hate working for nothing ;)) ?
>
> Not by me, I'll stick to linux.

:)