Re: [Mldonkey-users] TODO list

From: MLdonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] TODO list
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 17:03:56 +0100

>  - Fix the firewall download work. It should enable us to profit from new
>  sources in almost every overnet download

How is this supposed to work ? You have to find a client that is
directly connected to the source, and ask him to forward a connection
request ?

>  - investigate this emule/edonkey ban from the last overnet version (
>  http://forums.edonkey2000.com/phpBBovr/viewtopic.php?t=44035 ).
>  Are we concerned ? It seems that "non overnet clients cannot download
>  from overnet." - we might be safe.

>From the messages, it was hard to know how they exactly detect what is
a good or bad overnet clients...

>  On this subject, I am trying to have an overnet only mldonkey (no
>  servers, no sources other than overnet). I've hacked the new_server
>  function to do nothing and now I have no edonkey servers in my serevr
>  list.

We should probably have an option to decide if we want or don't want
to accept servers...

>  For sources, I must admit that I still find emules as sources. I thought
>  that it was due to source propagation and I hacked every Known_location
>  object that I could find. Does anyone know those sources come from ?

Well, eMule clients remember you for several days, so that they will
keep connecting you unless your change your ports.

>  Once overnet support is correct, I'm thinking about working on other
>  issues on mldonkey. For example :
>       - make it multi-threaded (?)

Ocaml does not support multi-threading very nicely. Maybe a
two-threads version, where one thread would be responsible only for
MD4 computation (which is mainly C code that will not conflict with
ocaml code). But multi-threading means synchronizations, deadlocks
and many other problems (including OS/compilation/portability problems).

>       - port to windows : why is it so complicated ? Is it only due to the
>  UNIX way of coding I/O (select...) ? Do you think that this port could
>  be needed by people (programmers hate working for nothing ;)) ?

Normally, the CVS version compiles under MinGW (the core at least). I
don't know if it works great after that. I was able to connect with a
mldonkey_gui from my linux box, but it stalls after a while.

Cygwin should work better, but it's not native, so the performances
are poor.

Good holidays !

- MLDonkey