Re: [Mldonkey-users] TODO list

From: Norbert LATAILLE
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] TODO list
Date: 21 Dec 2002 18:20:28 +0100

Le sam 21/12/2002 à 17:03, MLdonkey a écrit :

> >  - Fix the firewall download work. It should enable us to profit from new
> >  sources in almost every overnet download
>
> How is this supposed to work ? You have to find a client that is
> directly connected to the source, and ask him to forward a connection
> request ?

Yes, every firewalled peer comes with a non-firewalled peer to which we
can ask a direct connection from the fw-peer (this is what BCP type2 is
about). When I send the correct messages to ask for a connection, I
receive it but mldonkey does not know what to do with it. I need more
work in donkeyClient.ml

> >  - investigate this emule/edonkey ban from the last overnet version (
> >  http://forums.edonkey2000.com/phpBBovr/viewtopic.php?t=44035 ).
> >  Are we concerned ? It seems that "non overnet clients cannot download
> >  from overnet." - we might be safe.
>
> >From the messages, it was hard to know how they exactly detect what is
> a good or bad overnet clients...

I think that we need new code here (It seems that overnet adds new TCP
identification opcodes). Either this is about new TCP opcodes (and
fw-peers-download needs new TCP opcodes), either this is that the peer
must know us as being a part of the network (could try to send a
PUBLICIZE message).

> >  On this subject, I am trying to have an overnet only mldonkey (no
> >  servers, no sources other than overnet). I've hacked the new_server
> >  function to do nothing and now I have no edonkey servers in my serevr
> >  list.
>
> We should probably have an option to decide if we want or don't want
> to accept servers...
>
> >  For sources, I must admit that I still find emules as sources. I thought
> >  that it was due to source propagation and I hacked every Known_location
> >  object that I could find. Does anyone know those sources come from ?
>
> Well, eMule clients remember you for several days, so that they will
> keep connecting you unless your change your ports.

I'll change my port to check :)

<cynism> And after all, having emule sources won't screw my test, when
you know how much they upload to us </cynism>

> >  Once overnet support is correct, I'm thinking about working on other
> >  issues on mldonkey. For example :
> >     - make it multi-threaded (?)
>
> Ocaml does not support multi-threading very nicely. Maybe a
> two-threads version, where one thread would be responsible only for
> MD4 computation (which is mainly C code that will not conflict with
> ocaml code). But multi-threading means synchronizations, deadlocks
> and many other problems (including OS/compilation/portability problems).

I think we can take care of that (after all, most open-source projects
use multi-threaded libs and compile on multiple arch using autoconf...).
MD4 computations and other heavy jobs could benefit from this.

> Good holidays !

Thanks. I know someone else who is happy that I take holidays ;)

N.