Re: [Mldonkey-users] NetBSD 100% Cpu

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] NetBSD 100% Cpu
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 13:13:55 +0100

Le 29 Dec 2002 11:51:53 +0100, Michael Panteleit <address@hidden> a écrit :

> My "problem" is I have around 30 files of which half of them are rare
> (older than 10 days). My max_sources_per_file is 250.

With default parameters,

max_clients_per_second * min_reask_delay = 5 * 720 = 3600

30 * 250 = 7500

So potentially you have too many files downloading, but if half of them are
rare, it's possible that you're closer to the limit than that.

> I increased
> max_clients_per_second to 7, can I incrase it further, how will I
> notice it's too high?

More bandwidth (both of downlink and uplink) will be used to connect to
peers instead of uploading or downloading, so you'll lose some efficiency.
In a recent post, mldonkey evaluated the "cost" of connecting to a peer to
between 300 and 400 bytes per connection.
If you have an asymetric link, it will be more noticeable on uploads, your
uplink will be used just as much, but the rate of file data uploaded per
second may decrease. That can be measured with client_stats output.

> > (untested patch attached, that implement the 3rd solution ;) )
>
> Which sources will it dropped, if necessary?

It should automatically lower max_sources_per_file, so popular files will be
more affected that rare files, just like if you lowered max_sources_per_file
by hand...

BR,
Pierre.