Re: [Mldonkey-users] FAQ, Patches, Stalled-Forever Downloads, Slowness,

From: Taros666
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] FAQ, Patches, Stalled-Forever Downloads, Slowness, Settings
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 11:57:54 +0100

lenny bruce wrote:
I don't mind uploading but I'm doing a lot more uploading than downloading.
I thought the benefit of being able to download from so many people at
once was that each person didn't have to upload incredible amounts...

sum(network_upload) == sum (network_download)

I keep seeing this...
I assume it means you can only upload what you download

but we have ASYMMETRICAL connections
I thought the whole goal here was to overcome that fact
by having us download a little bit from a tremendous number of people

It still seems people don't understand that...

The sum of ALL uploads in the WHOLE donkey-net MUST equal the sum of ALL downloads. If 100 people have ADSL with 1000 kb/s down and 128 kb/s up, the max availabel download for everyone is 128*100= 12800 kb/s. The max possible download of 100000 kb/s (100*1000) for the whole network can never be reached! (100000 kb/s- 12800 kb/s = 87200 kb/s, so 87% of your possible downloadbandwidth won't get used!)

About 1 or 2 years ago, the donkey-net was very, very fast! Most people that paticipated in the net had same UP and DOWN. But since ADSL popped up the "A" =asyncron in ADSL is a big problem. In germany most people use t-online and thus you get a download-speed of the other peoples upload-speed of about 12-20 Kb/s max (if you are lucky) for new, well spread files and this is the expacted value.

If you give 128 kb/s upload you are a leecher if you download faster that 128 kb/s!

People in US seem to have better upload-speed. When I try some US-files, I often reach 30-40 Kb/s...

Taros666