Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: here's a guy that I stupidly offended because

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: here's a guy that I stupidly offended because this wasn't clear
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:12:46 +0100

Le Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:02:25 +0100, address@hidden a écrit :

> Multicast allows uploading from one source with many different
> receivers. In this case sum of uploads * receivers == sum of
> downloads. AFAIK it cannot be used in the Internet / with most
> providers but only in local networks.
> I wonder if there would be any way to utilize this for filesharing.

>From JungleMonkey FAQ:
"
 2.5. Why don't you use IP Multicast?

   IP Multicast is an extension of the Internet Protocol, the protocol
   that make the Internet work. It supports multicast at a low-level
   protocol and is, in theory, more efficient than End-host Multicast.
   However, IP Multicast is not widely available. In fact, the original
   version of Jungle Monkey used IP Multicast, but we abondoned it
   because we couldn't find any users who had it.

   2.6. Why not use IPv6 Multicast?

   IPv6, the next generation of the Internet Protocol, supports
   multicast. We will consider using it once IPv6 is more widely used,
   but don't hold your breathe.
"

(BTW, it's not very clear if they ever used any kind of multicast for file
transfers, or only for communications).

For those interested, see http://www.junglemonkey.net/