Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: here's a guy that I stupidly offended because

From: payday
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: here's a guy that I stupidly offended because this wasn't clear
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:02:25 +0100

Hello Sven,

SH> Jarek Hirny <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Hm,  at  least  in  Poland  there  are a few good, free newsserves with nice
>> expiry time. And, usually, you have usually access to your ISP newsserver.

SH> Well, fewer and fewer ISP _have_ a newsserver, since not many user use
SH> them. But a newsserver (with a full feed) uses about 80mbit/s, even if
SH> no end-user accesses it, so many ISPs just don't provide one to save
SH> costs.

SH> S°

However there are some significant advantages for the provider if many
people use their newsserver. The traffic generated by the newsserver
is provider-internal traffic which means that they don't have to use
their outside connections and they don't have to pay interconnect(?)
fees for this kind of traffic (they have to pay for traffic coming
from outside networks). Most of the time the lines are much bigger
(more mbit)in the internal network than to the outside networks.

However as far as I know there is one technique that breaks the rule
(sum of uploads == sum of downloads).
Multicast allows uploading from one source with many different
receivers. In this case sum of uploads * receivers == sum of
downloads. AFAIK it cannot be used in the Internet / with most
providers but only in local networks.
I wonder if there would be any way to utilize this for filesharing.
If you knew that many people needed one of your chunks you might
multicast it to all of them with just one upload. As I said, it
might/will not work with most providers but maybe somebody here knows
more about that.

--
Best regards,
 payday                            mailto:address@hidden