Re: [Mldonkey-users] eMule Mod to emulate mldonkey

From: Stephane Goulet
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] eMule Mod to emulate mldonkey
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 19:22:14 -0500

> We need something that does not favor one particular client, or we will
> always see such mods...
> How about making the distribution dynamic, dependend on " seen" or
> "downloaded" in the statistic. If the download comes mainly from one
> client Type, even it is emule( i doubt that...), this type of client
> should get the most upload.

Indeed, since it's easy to fake a mldonkey client.. we really should have a
more complex mldonkey authentification scheme, emules uses protocol
extensions not so easy to reverse engeneer, we should have harder ones so
they wont fake us so easyly.
I have once suggested this "dynamic way" seems no one else liked the idea at
that time..
It's much more fair then having a fixed/default value, in case leeching
clients change their behavour.

> That's not good Style.
> The only  ones who should  always have  a slot are my Friends!

I like the idea of favorising mldonkeys since they are good sharers, but
since emules fake mldonkeys now, it should be removed ASAP.
Friends favorising looks good to me.. Personally the friends i add are ppl
that have files og the kind i like (music, videos), not necesserally good
sharing clients (sometimes those clients have an *emule* string in their
nick.. i don't want to give leechers a priority :( ) If i'm not the only one
doing this, we could have like a friends and a "references" list.. If i'm
the only one "referencing" i'll change my way to comply to the collective,
no problem ;)

> > In drder not to have this disadvantage MavMule emulates a MLDonkey
client
> > when he connects
> > to an MLDonkey client.
> >
> That raises one Question: Who is the first client that says: Im a
> [emule/mldonkey]-client? If it is the connecting client, we could "play
> emule" in that case. But this should only be a temporary fix...

Emules add opcodes extensions to talk to themselves, they also have some
specific values in their client md4 (do they still use the client md4
identification?)
Mldonkey 2.0 identifies itself by having some specific values in the client
md4 (has this improved??)

I read in MldonkeyWorld, i think, that for some of their mod that change
upload priorities, you can add the evil word "emule" to your nick, this will
help you get a *least worst* download from them as this will be recognised
as a "community string" and grant you a 2x bonus in their queue/credit
system. (..about being fair) Maybe there is other "tweaks" we should find..
Faking being emules to emules remains the best way to get almost decent
transfer from them.

-Stéphane