Re: Re: [Mldonkey-users] eMule Mod to emulate mldonkey

From: MLdonkey
Subject: Re: Re: [Mldonkey-users] eMule Mod to emulate mldonkey
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:00:34 +0100

>  I vote for: all
>
>  I want a credit system.  I want slot assignment based on client
>  type. And I want the standard upload/download ratio speed limiter
>  from the original edonkey client.
>
>  Have them all in mldonkey with a proper upload queue and let the
>  user decide which she wants to use. (All completely separate of
>  course and easily selectable.)

Yes, I want a no-upload option, and let the user (why not he ?) choose
if he wants to use it ! No, the credit system and the infinite queue
are not good (maybe they are good if you are sharing the lattest
windows softwares, and because emule users want them).

It is not a question of satisfying the users. If we were not concerned
with that, we would simply not release mldonkey, we would keep it for us,
with connections to 250 servers and no-upload. We are concerned, but
we have to choose some "defaults" features that don't hurt other
users.

>  Plus, consistently offer what every other client offers.

I agree that there should be a "monitoring other clients" team in the
project (someone wants to volunteer ? never have got a lot of success
with the question before... send a mail on the list every month (or
for important events) with such info !), that would try all other clients
(emule,
overnet, etc) for all networks (edonkey, gnutella, ...) and see what's
new and what's good.

But I don't think we should add all the features: just the
best/interesting ones. It is not possible, and if only one user is
interested, he can probably hack it himself.

>  It is easy to modify source, easy to do lots of things, but most
>  people are lazy and too busy to care about modifications if what
>  they think is fair is already easily accessible to them in a
>  default setup.

Easy ??? writing code takes some time, but debugging it takes a lot
more... introducing many new useless features makes a software
unmaintainable. We have to be careful with that.

>  People on emule like to press a button -> set priority to release
>  mode.  It is fun and "feels" good to the user.

Well, you should understand that we simply cannot add all the buttons
every user would want (I want a button with my name, and one to my web
page !!). There are already options that can be modified, and so on...

The main problem is not to give the users many fun ways to do the same
thing, but to add things that were not possible before (adding a new
shared directory from the GUI for example). This is our priority.

>  mldonkey needs to understand more from a user perspective, not
>  always exclusively from a smart algorithm perspective. (although
>  these are great too from an "under-the-hood" point of view) You
>  will never come up with a single "best" solution that works for
>  all.

That's the reason why I use mldonkey and Simon implements the features
I want :), when he is not introducing bugs somewhere else ... (I will
not forward my mail to him :) ) I'm a dummy user with wishes, and he is
my god.

- MLDonkey