Re: [Mldonkey-users] starting mldonkey / allowed_ips / long queues

From: Martin
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] starting mldonkey / allowed_ips / long queues
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:29:31 +0100

Martin wrote...
> the core I used the "kill" command in the telnet interface but I only
> got an "Exception Sys_error("Input/output error")". So I killed the
> thread manualy which resulted in the loss of serveral hundred MB of
> downloaded data :(

which should reappear with a recover_temp...

> I would like to control the core (which is running on my remote
> server) using a GUI. Since I have a dynamic IP at home it would be
> very usefull if I could add a dyndns hostname to allowed_ips. When
> somebody is trying to connect to the GUI or telnet interface MLDonkey
> should lookup the current IP of the dyndns hostname and allow access
> if the ip matches.

you can already do that with a little script which resolves your
hostname and adds/updates your firewall to allow access to the
mldonkey-port from this ip only.

> And could somebody explain to me why the hell a looong queue in emule
> is a bad thing(tm)? I know that it can take ages to get a download
> slot when you start at rank 1303 but if you wait long enough (and the
> other client doesn't get shut down) you will start downloading at some
> point! If people have shorter queues all you'll ever get is a "Queue
> full

Most people use dial-up lines which get disconnected after 12 or 24
hours (depending on country/isp) and assigned a new ip on
reconnect. so most of the time they wait for hours in someones queue
and finally get disconnected and loose the position in the queue!
Especially on rare files this is very bad because if your
queue-position is >1000 you got no chance in hell to get a byte from
that client - either its you or him getting disconnected before!
The queues are so long that only people with static ips are long
enough online to get into the few upload-slots. (somewhere i read the
newest tarod-mod has only 3 upload slots....think about that::
standing in a line with 5000 people - you are last and only the first
3 get something!)
Thats why i would prefer a queue-full-message. Then you can try
connecting again in a few minutes/hours whatever and with a little
luck you can download.

all IMHO