Re: [Mldonkey-users] starting mldonkey / allowed_ips / long queues

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] starting mldonkey / allowed_ips / long queues
Date: 28 Jan 2003 20:26:53 +0100

MLdonkey <address@hidden> writes:

> > And could somebody explain to me why the hell a looong queue in emule
> > is a bad thing(tm)? I know that it can take ages to get a download
> > slot when you start at rank 1303 but if you wait long enough (and the
> > other client doesn't get shut down) you will start downloading at some
> > point! If people have shorter queues all you'll ever get is a "Queue
> > full
>
> What about newbies ? They connect to the network for the first time,
> they get a 1999 rank, wait for 5 hours, 0 downloads, and go back to
> kazaa... Is-it really what you want ?

Actually yes. _IF_ the queueing and credit system would work properly
and work distributed (uploading to A also gets you credits for B) that
would be perfectly fine with me.

A newbie that realy has 0 to upload is very rare and he will get some
data to share eventually. As long as its explained and halfway
transparent how it works (like you collect credits and see them all
the time and you can buy a better queue position with them at a price
also shown) the only people we would loose are leechers who wouldn't
contribute anyway.

But don't get me wrong, emules system is neigther fair, nor does it
work properly and it is noway transparent.

MfG
        Goswin