Re: [Mldonkey-users] starting mldonkey / allowed_ips / long queues

From: Martin
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] starting mldonkey / allowed_ips / long queues
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:15:21 +0100

Goswin Brederlow wrote...
> Martin <address@hidden> writes:
> > Martin wrote...
> > > I would like to control the core (which is running on my remote
> > > server) using a GUI. Since I have a dynamic IP at home it would be
> > > very usefull if I could add a dyndns hostname to allowed_ips. When
> > > somebody is trying to connect to the GUI or telnet interface MLDonkey
> > > should lookup the current IP of the dyndns hostname and allow access
> > > if the ip matches.
> > you can already do that with a little script which resolves your
> > hostname and adds/updates your firewall to allow access to the
> > mldonkey-port from this ip only.
> Which is not the same thing.

but solves the problem

> > enough online to get into the few upload-slots. (somewhere i read the
> > newest tarod-mod has only 3 upload slots....think about that::
> > standing in a line with 5000 people - you are last and only the first
> > 3 get something!)
> 1. No matter how many upload slots there are it will allways take the
> same time for the 4999 people in front of you to get their 9MB data
> each. It only means more people get less data at the same time and not
> more data is send out. Usually its not the recieving end that limits
> the speed but the sending end.

ACK

> 2. Properly done you wouldn't loose you queue position upon disconnect
> or redial. Each client has a unique client_md4 with wich you should be
> able to reclaim your queue position after a redial.
> The big question is: Does emule keep you in the queue upon redial and
> recover your position upon reconnect? I would think it detects a
> second connect from your client and kicks you out as long as it thinks
> the old IP is still connected and then it will remove you from the
> queue when it times out.

Didn read the sources but AFAIR there was a discussion on emule boards
that someone could collect all client_md4 from known clients and then
tries to connect to its source probing all those md4s to get the best
queue position. So all the time you waited in queue is *lost*.

BTW: Did anyone expect emule to be 'properly done'?