Re: Re[2]: [Mldonkey-users] starting mldonkey / allowed_ips / long queue

From: Sergio Bayarri Gausi
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Mldonkey-users] starting mldonkey / allowed_ips / long queues
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:33:21 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

> Clients should simply have no queues. It was done like that in
> edonkey. That way, when a slot is freed, the first connected client
> receives the slot, which can happen with the same probability for old
> users and newbies...

I don't think that a reasonable, small queue is that bad. I guess it would
be nice to know that you're queued and you'll get something in a *near
future*. Once a queue slot is freed, it will be taken either by a newbie
or old user, who will wait *a little* until he actually downloads
something.

The problem comes with laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge queues, where nobody past a
queue position (usually very low compared with the queue size) will ever
get anyhting (due to the client being shutdown, or its ip being
dinamically asigned).

Greetings,

Sergio