Re: Re[2]: [Mldonkey-users] starting mldonkey / allowed_ips / long queue

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Mldonkey-users] starting mldonkey / allowed_ips / long queues
Date: 29 Jan 2003 02:31:21 +0100

MLdonkey <address@hidden> writes:

> >  Which results in clients reconnecting all the time as fast as possible
> >  (without getting banned). If you connect less frequent your chance of
> >  getting a slot is greatly reduced.
>
> Queue jumping is prevented by banning clients requesting a file too often.
>
> >  With common files you also have a lot of sources, say 1000
> >  sources. And lets say you can reconnect every 10 minutes without
> >  getting banned. So you can try 100 connects a minute for a file. Now
> >  say you have a rare file with 10 sources resulting in 1 connect per
> >  minute. Since getting a slot is pure probability you only get the
> >  common files.
>
> Anyway, with large queues, clients don't stay connected:
> * Emule clients with 2000 clients in their queue would not support it
> * If you have a limitation on the number of connections you can open,
>   you don't want to stay connected+queued in 100 sources, you really
>   want to test other sources, and come back 10 minutes later.

Is staying connected essential for the queuing to work?

Intelligent queues should tell you when you get queued, send an udp
packet whenever you advance in the queue and connect to you when you
get an upload slot.

If you know could you (or someone else) explain how the queuing is
done currently and what the relevant network packets are?
We realy do need a document explaining the donkey network specs.

MfG
        Goswin